Connectivity Tips for New Homeowners
Moving into a new home or building one from the ground up is an exciting adventure. However, amidst the chaos of packing, unpacking, and settling in, one crucial aspect often gets overlooked: setting up a reliable and high-speed internet connection.
In Luxembourg, where digital connectivity is a priority, making informed choices about your internet service provider, subscription offer, device placement, and network security can greatly enhance your online experience. Let’s explore how to make the most of your internet connection in the Grand Duchy.
Choosing the Right Internet Service Provider (ISP)
When it comes to choosing an ISP for your home in the Grand Duchy, you have a vast array of options. Here are some factors to consider when selecting an ISP:
- Coverage: Check if the ISP offers coverage in your new home’s area to ensure that they’re able to provide a strong signal to your location. Geoportail.lu provides a great overview of the available infrastructures but you always must check with the ISP directly for a final answer. Most ISPs provide an online eligibility system where you can get instant feedback based on your address.
- Speed: Determine your household’s internet needs. If you’re a family of avid gamers and streamers or work from home, you’ll want a high-speed connection.
- Packages and Bundles: ISPs often offer bundles that include TV and phone services. Consider whether these are valuable additions for your household. This privately run website can assist you in comparing offers and packages.
- Customer Service: Look into the reputation of the ISP’s customer service. Prompt assistance can be a lifesaver if you encounter connectivity issues.
- Available Vertical Cabling Technology: Ask your landlord, the housing manager, the real estate agent or a neighbor, if there is vertical cabling (i.e. cable or fibre – running from the cellar to the apartments or upper rooms of a building) for ultra-high-speed internet connectivity available in your building. The technology available to your home or apartment will influence which ISP would best suit your needs.
Check out our ISP directory with links to their contact pages.
Finding the Right Subscription Offer
Once you’ve selected an ISP, it’s time to choose the right subscription offer. Providers in Luxembourg offer a range of plans tailored to different needs:
- Coaxial cable and fibre both offer future proof digital connectivity. DSL, being based on copper cables, will be out phased from early 2024 until 2030 – so depending on where you are, you would have to switch again soon.
- Contract Length: Consider whether you want a short-term or long-term contract. Keep an eye out for any discounts or promotions on longer contracts. Even if most ISPs offer 24-month contracts, you can also find offers with very short contract terms (as little as 1 month).
- Additional Services: Look for extras like security packages or parental controls, which can add value to your subscription. Ask your Service Provider for installation fees and services in mind, especially if vertical cabling is missing in your home.
Choosing Where to Install Internet Devices
The placement of your router can significantly impact your Wi-Fi signal strength and overall connectivity. Here are some tips:
- Central Location: Position your Wi-Fi router in a central area of your home. This helps distribute the signal more evenly throughout the house.
- Avoid Obstacles: Keep your router away from thick walls, metal objects, and electronic appliances that can interfere with the signal.
- Range Extenders: If your home is large or has dead spots, consider using Wi-Fi range extenders or Wi-fi mesh access points to boost coverage.
- Ethernet Connections: For the best speed and stability, connect devices that require high bandwidth, such as gaming consoles or smart TVs, directly to the router via Ethernet cables.